Monday, November 7, 2011

Thoughts on Blogging

Last week was one of those weeks; one of those weeks when you go to Costco and find out your debit card is expired at the check out line. And then after going home to get the new card, you get your items home and find out you bought the wrong size of trash bags; 500 of them.

The three of us took turns being sick and after waking up on the wrong side of the bed one morning, Matt lovingly suggested that I take a break from things like blogging and Pinterest and get some rest. During my much needed break (husbands can be so wise), I ignored my to-do list and moved a little bit slower. Instead of running around trying to get things done in the mornings, I set with Addy and ate breakfast as she played. It's funny how I don't usually take time to just watch her play.


I also has a lot of time to think about this little blog and I've decided a few things.
WARNING: This list has sub points

1. I like blogging, because:
   A. It's a great creative outlet for someone who spends most of her day with a little girl who can't really hold a conversation
   B. It's easier and less expensive than scrapbooking. I love that I can easily document big(and little) moments in our life in minutes. 
   C. It's a fun way for family who don't live in the 505 to a be a part of Addy's life. (That's you Mom, Dad, Uncle Perry and Aunt Nic!)
2. I really like the great friends that God has placed in our lives. The great community we are a part of is a huge answer to prayer and I don't want to take them for grant it.
3. I really really like my little family, they make my heart happy.
4. Points 2 and 3 have led me to this conclusion: I need to spend less time online.


I've had this little blog for awhile and just recently, I've really tried to grow my readership by participating in link ups and button swaps, which are all great but time consuming. And really, let's face it, there is absolutely no monetary value coming from any of it and I am totally fine with that. I want this to be something I like, not a chore.


So, as we enter the holiday season, I am going to make a conscious effort to spend less time online and more time investing in the relationships I have here in the 505, whether that means more play dates or just more time spent praying for my family. But don't worry, this blog isn't going away, I like it way to much to say goodbye. (see point 1)

These photos were taken my sweet Sister-in-law, Morgan. I really like her. (see point 2) :)

4 comments:

Simply.Lovely.Things said...

I'm happy you're not going away, I would miss you but I totally support your decision to make the time and moments in your life that truely matter more important. You have the cutest baby and no one can blame you for wanting to spend more time with her :) Bless you and your family! <3

... said...

This is so honest and I think you are definitely making a wonderful decision to be more connected to the 505 and your sweet little family! :) love you girl!

Jessica Lynn said...

I've definitely been in your shoes with trying to grow a readership, and the second blogging becomes a burden to you or your family it's time to step back. The thing is, it's usually when you stop linking up and making that effort to have a post up all the time that your readership will grow.

I do hope you continue blogging, because I like your blog and, like you said, it's a digital scrapbook, but do what you need to do for your family!

Rachel said...

New follower here. :) I totally know what you mean. I'm kind of going through a similar thing. I don't want to give up blogging for sure, so for now I'll keep going.

Post a Comment

"Comments are like long-distance hugs" - Quote from a friend and I totally agree :)